This FAQ will be updated as new information becomes available. Questions may be emailed to


When did the spring semester start?
The semester will started on Tuesday, January 18. For the first two weeks, classes were held online. 

When did in-person instruction begin?
In-person instruction resumed on January 31.

Will there be any changes to academic policies or deadlines for the spring semester?
The add/drop deadline was extended to February 4 for undergraduate students in Arts & Sciences, Olin, McKelvey and Sam Fox. Some graduate/professional programs have made adjustments. Please contact your advising office for additional clarification if needed. Unless otherwise indicated, policies and deadlines are consistent with fall 2021, as listed in the Bulletin and academic calendar.


We will provide testing for all students, faculty and staff who develop symptoms of COVID-19 at any time (diagnostic testing), as well as broader testing as needed for exposures to prevent spread within our community. Learn more on the COVID-19 testing page.


Is the COVID-19 dashboard still available?
No. As our strategies for COVID-19 testing have evolved, particularly with the introduction of self-testing for students, we found that the data we had been sharing on the dashboard were no longer reflective of the actual number of cases on campus at a given time. The dashboard was providing very limited value to our community so we made the decision to take it down. We continue to track cases internally and will use this information to make science-based decisions about our policies and protocols. For regional data, visit the St. Louis County COVID-19 dashboard.


Why isn’t the university requiring boosters?
We have set the expectation that all of our students, faculty and staff who are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster will get one. At this time, we are relying on the members of our community to take personal responsibility for taking this step and do not feel that we need to have a mandate at this time. We are asking everyone to upload their booster documentation (students to the Habif Health and Wellness Center website and employees to ReadySet) and we will monitor progress and determine whether a requirement may be necessary in the future.

Do I need to provide documentation that I’ve received my booster?
Yes, students and employees who receive a booster should update their vaccination records on the Habif Health and Wellness Center website or ReadySet, respectively.

Where can I get the vaccine?
Vaccines are available free of charge. For Danforth Campus students, Habif Health and Wellness Center has the Pfizer vaccine and appointments are available through the student portal on the Habif website. Appointments for employees and trainees are available through the university by emailing Your vaccination record will automatically be uploaded to ReadySet, but please verify. You may also get your vaccine through a public vaccination clinic, but you will need to upload proof of vaccination in ReadySet. Appointments for spouses and dependents are available by registering with BJC HealthCare.


Will I get a housing refund for the two weeks when classes were online?
For students living in Residential Life housing who did not return prior to January 28, the university is offering a partial credit of housing fees. Information about this is being provided to students and families in February.

What about my meal plan? Will that change and will I get a refund for unused meals?
Students were able to change their spring 2022 meal plans according to existing dining policy through January 31. Students living in Residential Life housing who have a meal plan and who did not return prior to January 28 have been offered a partial credit for dining fees. Details were shared in February in a message to students who have meal plans.

Will I have to pay a late fee on my spring balance?
No late fees were assessed at the end of January or February for the spring 2022 balances that were due on January 20. Late fees and holds will be calculated in March for spring 2022 balances.

What dining locations are open?
For a full list of hours and locations, visit the Dining Services website.


Are recreation facilities open?
The Sumers Recreation Center will be open with limited hours between January 4-28, as follows: Mon-Fri: 7-9 a.m., 11 a.m.- 2 p.m., 4-7 p.m.; Sat-Sun: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.  All BearFIT classes will be virtual and open swim will be limited to one swimmer per lane with a reservation requirement.  The South 40 Fitness Center will remain closed until in-person academics resume on the Danforth Campus.

Are university athletic events happening?
All Washington University varsity sports that are in season will continue as long as conditions permit. As a temporary safety measure, we are not allowing spectators at university athletic events until conditions improve. Club sports activities will be paused until January 31. 


Are university employees who work on the Danforth Campus expected to continue to report to work on campus?
Yes, employees will continue with their current work arrangements, which may be reevaluated on an individual/departmental basis as needed. Employees who are working in person on campus should continue to report to work as directed by their departmental leadership. Any changes to existing work arrangements should be reviewed and approved by HR and implemented through managers on the departmental level. 

I am worried about my safety in the workplace given the rapid spread of COVID-19. Can I request a remote work option until I feel safe returning?
We have seen no classroom, lab or other workplace transmission of COVID-19 when our public health requirements are followed. Please see the Flexible Work Arrangement Policy on the Human Resources website for guidance. 

I failed my self-screen and am unable to reach anyone at the COVID Call Center for a COVID-19 test. What should I do? 
You should not come to work, or if at work, you should leave and isolate at home. You should continue to attempt to call the COVID Call Center (314-362-5056) and if you are still unable to get through, leave a message. If you do not hear back in 24 hours, go ahead and call your primary care doctor for potential testing and management. If you have COVID, please call your local health department to report your status if you still cannot get through to the call center. See additional guidance on the Exposure & Illness Procedures page on the School of Medicine website.